Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Friendship

Source: NY Times 7/26 Arts p.B6 "All About Friends, Those Acquaintances Whose Calls You Want to Take (Usually)" by William Gromes Review of "Friendship: An Expose" by Joseph Epstein

FM-FM Comment: Friendship

Is friendship a skill or a condition? People have come my way and may have been friends or they may have just come may way with no way around me and out of politeness stayed long enough to think of me as a friend. I could not say what is true in either case. I am not a friend. Never was. Can't be. Why? I expect too much.
Loyalty,Sacrifice,Generosity,Kindness,Patience.....you see what I am getting at.
Who has that to offer these days or any day? It's better to not expect such things from people who have come your way. It's better to allow them freedom to come and go just as they are without expectations. If you see signs of expectations developing, it is warning that a friendship has possibly taken root. Ask yourself, can I water and feed and culitivate this friendship? Is this something they want or I want? How will you know whose idea it is to become friends? Best to be human and not a god. Treat them fairly. Love them for what they are. Enjoy the moment. Learn how to wave nicely as they leave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home