Tuesday, May 16, 2006

'The Fantasticks' Returns

Source: NY Times May16, Arts- "It's Time To Remember: The Fantasticks Returns" by Campbell Robertson

FM-FM: Comment
Many years ago while teaching speech and drama at a small college in Vermont, I took my handful of actors who gave their best to make two one-act plays by Tennessee Williams an evening's entertainment for a loyal college audience, to see 'The Fantasticks" as a form of thanks and reward. It was by then a standard for small theatre companies and a sure money-maker. It still is. It's called the longest running musical at 42 years. After 17, 162 performances it closed in 2002 and suddenly its back Off-broadway. Events occuring early in a teaching career remain as precious memories, trophies that sit on the ledge of the mind ready for a sentimental review when a light is cast upon them. That time in my life and those students and that musical really bring comfort in the slow decline of an academic career. I am encouraged by revivals, especially if they are works that I cherish. I too, have had a long run, have not closed, and am not scheduled for a revival.....as far as I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home