Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Someday Never

Source: NY Times: New York Report p.C17 5/17 "Hopes and Dreams, Lost on 9/11, Saved on a Laptop' by Dan Barry

FM-FM: Comment
Some days the NY Times Art section does not resonate with me. Today was such a day. I was caught by the concept of 'someday' in a human interest story. "Who knows why never becomes someday and someday becomes today." In a story about a mother who discovers her daughter's vision for her life found in a file in her laptop that she had ignored since her daughter's death in the 9/11 Twin Towers catastrophe, the young woman's thirty-six points bespoke of modest goals and affirmed what her father and mother already knew about her. "She recognized that you appreciate a few things and kind of live your life wisely," her father said. The mother interprets the discovery of the list as as another way in which her daughter communicates with her when she is most in need. Of course, it could have been on a sheet of paper or in notebook. It gives one pause about the efficacy of keeping everything locked up in an electronic box.. Yes, "Who knows why never become someday and someday becomes today."

1 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Blogger A Girl From Texas said...

My sister used to tell me that she would never write anything bad about someone in her journal because she never wanted anyone to read about it when she was dead. What's the point in keeping any kind of diary/journal if you're going to censor yourself.

It had an impact on me. So, if I ever write anything really bad in my diary about a longterm someone in my life, inevitebly, I end up tearing the page out and shredding it.

I'm still very touched by everything 9/11.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home